Montag, November 20, 2006

Can't think of a clever or meaningful title that is sufficient...

Where to start? How about God's faithfulness.

How wonderful is our God who puts hunger in our hearts for Him! How sweet is our God who is long suffering.

A thought has been in my mind for some days. Or rather, some verse. John 14.21: "He who has my commands and OBEYS them is the one who LOVES Me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I, too, will love Him and make myself known to Him."

It is an amazing self-perpetuating cycle that when we obey Jesus then we demonstrate our love for and to Him. And when we obey He then reveals more of His perfect, slendorous, supreme self to us. Upon seeing more of this Jesus, the Christ, we then will love Him all the more and desire all the more to obey, and in knowing Him better, we know HOW to obey Him all the better!

But what of the times when we, let me say I, feel the Spirit jolt me with an instant message, and say, "see that man there that looks like a mad man grumbling to himself like he wants to rip someone's arms off? Go talk to Him."

And what then happens when I say, "that is okay God. Thanks, but I'll take a rain check on that one. No? Still going to command me what to do. Let me make it clear, I'm going to make excuses to you until he finally starts that engine and drives off. Come on man! What are you waiting on? Start that car and drive off so I can't talk to you! Finally! See God, now I can't obey. He is gone."

That is just one instance. There are plenty of others. So what of those claws? What of those razor sharp claws of the Lion? Will this dangerous Lion I stand before quit showing me the way? Will He let my heart become as hardened as I try and make it? Will He lovingly strike me with those great paws with claws so sharp? (Remind me to tell you of a friend who felt those claws, even the end, and was glad of it).

Maybe (I would rather that than that He simply leave me to my own devices). But then I remember, no rather, the Spirit spoke once again, "Ah, but this claw I see you eying so warily, remember, that these claws has pierced my own paws, first."

How great is our God? Not some man, only more so. But perfect in all His ways. In all that He does and intends. The God who nailed Himself to a tree, became cursed for me, for you, who harden our hearts to His whispers that call us to be like Him. How great is our God that He would put the desire in our hearts to KNOW Him in the first place. And even more, that He would grant us the capacity, by the power and work of His Holy Spirit, to be JUST LIKE HIM.

In a somewhat different but absolutely connected line of thinking, I encourage you to go to discipleshiplibrary.com and look for a sermon by Billy Graham called "Commitment."

Our God, Jesus, is awesome. And deserving of all things. Would you gladly give your live to advance the Gospel of Jesus one mile? Would I? I hope so. I pray so. So what must we do? Obey. We must obey, obey, obey.

1 Comments:

Blogger Abigail... said...

I love the line, "Ah, but this claw I see you eying so warily, remember, that these claws has pierced my own paws, first."

Really good..

I looked everywhere for the sermon, couldnt find it...can you get me directions again? I am slow sometimes ;-)

1:49 PM  

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home